From: Eric Maniloff <eric.maniloff.ieee@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 2:24 PM
To: Brian Welch (bpwelch) <bpwelch@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: STDS-802-3-100G-OPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_100G-OPTX] TX Average Power Min.

Hi all,

I wanted to clarify the reasons for the comment on aligning the Tx average power spec to infinite ER. Most of this was mentioned on the call today, but to reiterate:

Link budgets are based on OMA and TDECQ, not on average power. The average power specs are informative, and designed to allow the widest possible range of transmitter technologies. Clearly the easiest way to do this is to allow any extinction ratio. This intent is clear in the footnote regarding average power (min) specs:

a) Average launch power (min) is informative and not the principal indicator of signal strength. A transmitter with launch power below this value cannot be compliant…

By specifying the transmitter with finite extinction ratio, this statement is not correct since the normative spec is OMA. In D2.0 Average Power Min (Tx) for: 100GBASE-DR is specified with 10dB ER, 100GBASE-FR1 is specified with 15dB ER, and 100GBASE-LR1 is specified with infinite ER. Because 100GBASE-DR is specified with only a 10dB ER, this spec is being used to limit the range of 100GBASE-FR1 values. If a supplier produces a Tx with a higher ER than these values, they are required by the current spec to transmit a higher OMA.

The Rx average power min values are set by subtracting the link loss from Tx average power values, again with the footnote:

b) Average receive power (min) is informative and not the principal indicator of signal strength. A received power be-low this value cannot be compliant

This statement is not true for the Rx. If a device transmits with a higher OMA than the minimum specified for the Tx, then a receiver could receive a signal at below the specified minimum average power value that met the minimum OMA spec. And to be 100% clear: This signal could have come from a compliant transmitter, complying with both the Tx OMA and Average Power Min specs.

The intent of the footnotes is clear: Any signal with power lower than the Average Power Min will have an OMA less than that required by the link budgets.

Having said this, I do understand Brian’s concern. 100GBASE-DR, and 400GBASE-DR4 have been specified with a 10dB ER. This has pushed back on 100GBASE-FR1, in that if the 100GBASE-FR1 spec is changed there could be a situation where it is transmitted to a 100GBASE-DR Rx, and the Rx raises a Low Power alarm based on the received value despite receiving a compliant signal over a compliant link. It’s worth noting though: this would only happen if a 100GBASE-FR1 transmitter was produced with an Extinction Ratio > 15dB. In other words, the interop is only a problem if vendors are able to build compliant transmitters that violate the current average power min spec. If we don't think transmitter technologies providing > 15dB ER can be produced, then there's no interop problem.

So, where does this leave us? We could leave the 100GBASE-FR1 spec alone, which would have the impact of requiring excess margin in high ER transmitters. We're only discussing about 0.3dB delta, so doing this would not be terribly onerous. If we do this, we should modify the footnotes, since they aren’t currently correct. Alternatively, we could modify the 100GBASE FR1 specs to calculate minimum average power with infinite ER. If we do modify the specs I do think an effort should be made to modify the DR specs as well. This would not impact any existing DR transmitters, but would suggest that DR receivers change their low power average power alarm threshold.

My preference is to have all of the specs written at infinite ER, but alternatively we could simply modify the notes in the table to be consistent with the current specs.

Eric