Re: [802.3_B400G_ELEC] MLSE

Thanks, Rich, for kickstarting the MLSE conversation on the email reflector.

At the 4 January 2024 electrical ad hoc meeting, Hossein brought forward a detailed proposal for a specific MLSE approach for the Task Force to consider.  (see: https://www.ieee802.org/3/dj/public/adhoc/electrical/24_0104/shakiba_3dj_elec_01a_240104.pdf)  Thank you, Hossein.  Unfortunately, time constraints prevented us from having a Q&A session at the end of his contribution.  Additionally, there was insufficient time to conduct a few straw polls.

From a TF leadership point of view, the most important pieces of the MLSE topic to nail down in Phase 1 are:

  1. Whether the TF is going to assume “MLSE capability” as a technique to close the electrical link budget(s)?  (Prior straw polls suggest a strong yes)
  2. Which electrical interfaces and electrical PHYs are assumed to make use of the “MLSE capability”?  (prior straw polls suggest yes for CR/KR but unclear for C2C or C2M)
  3. What approach/direction does the TF want to take for the “MLSE capability” in the specification?
    1. There are a few different approaches to consider before selecting a specific proposal
    2. For example, does the TF want to implement the MLSE “algorithm” in COM or does the TF want to take a COM margin “reduction” instead? Or something else?

                                                               i.       if the TF decides that the MLSE algorithm should be implemented in an Annex as part of the COM reference receiver, Hossein’s contribution could be a candidate solution.

The straw polls that I planned for 4 January were to explore the consensus on items #2 and #3 of the list above so that I know where and how to guide the TF forward.  Given the importance of clarity on these items for baseline adoption, I requested to the TF Chair a pair of straw polls to be considered at the January interim meeting.

Here there are in advance to facilitate discussion (and wordsmithing):

SP #x

I would support including MLSE as a capability in the reference EQ for the following 200G/lane electrical interfaces:

  1. CR
  2. KR
  3. AUI C2M
  4. AUI C2C

(Chicago Rules)

SP #Y

For the 200G/lane electrical interfaces having MLSE capability, the MLSE solution approach that I prefer is:

A.  Include MLSE COM calculations based on the existing proposal (i.e.  shakiba_3dj_elec_01_240104, slide 9)

B. Use MLSE coding gain as a rough estimate (i.e.  shakiba_3dj_elec_01_240104, slide 27)

C. Relax COM margin by a constant amount

(choose one)

-Kent

Electrical Track Chair, IEEE P802.3dj Task Force