[802.3_B400G_ELEC] Topic: Floating taps for Rx FFE

Hi All,

In COM 4.4 there are 2 selections to compute the floating taps controlled by the following spreadsheet table entry

RXFFE FLOAT CTL

ISI

FOM o ISI

If there are 1 or 2 groups of tap the FOM method may be as good or better than the ISI method invoked respectively by functions “ findbankloc” and “ FOM_rxffe_floating_taps”.

However, 3 or more groups may exhibit a search blocking issue for FOM which ISI method does not have.

In many cases I have seen the ISI method yield a slightly better ( a few hundredths of dB)  FOM than the FOM method.

I was thinking of checking both methods unless someone has a better idea for the FOM method that accounts for blocking better.

Thoughts,

… Rich

Richard Mellitz

Samtec Southeast