[802SEC] Using the ZOOM account

Hi all,

I discovered a hidden "feature" of Zoom yesterday, and figured out what happened.  Zoom has been working very well, otherwise, and there is an easy workaround for the "feature" I discovered.   Steve suggested I share with the EC what I learned.

I had trouble starting a meeting.  I got a "there is another meeting in progress" message. This appears to have been caused by someone joining before I got there using an OLD LINK for an earlier meeting (one that happened in the past).  Meeting links apparently do not expire. A potential race condition occurs: if the person using the old link does so ahead of the host, the host is blocked from starting the right meeting. There is no obvious indication to the user who is using the wrong link, other than  being alone.

This can be prevented a few ways:

1. Disable  "join before host"  I prefer to allow "join before host" so that if the host is delayed or dropped from the meeting (due to a dodgy internet connection, for example), the work can go on.

2. Delete the meeting form the meeting schedule after it's over. This can be done using the "previous meetings" page:

https://zoom.us/meeting?type=previous

I had not seen this prior because I usually start the meeting 10 minutes before the scheduled time (i.e. win the race).

FWIW.

--
Regards,
Ben