Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day EC Motion+++ Approval of comments to the FCC NPRM on revisiting and re-configuration of the 5.9GHz band

Jay,

                I reviewed the document and I am not sure the negative comments about 3GPP is the right approach.  It would seen to be better to focus on the benefits of the IEEE technology.  In any case, here are my comments.

Regards,

Steve

-----------------------------

Section 1.2

No need to hyphenate “Coexistence” (Editorial)

Section 4.1

Change

“IEEE 802 believes that the Commission is misinformed and has made a significant error in judgement in its belief that C-V2X is “the technology most capable of …”.  ”

“IEEE 802 disagrees with the Commission statement that C-V2X is “the technology most capable of …”.  ”

I think the current wording is quite rude to the FCC.

“To date, we are unaware there have been any field tests of C-V2X at scale with hundreds of units in complex RF environments.”

See

https://pronto-core-cdn.prontomarketing.com/2/wp-content/uploads/sites/2896/2020/02/CAMP-CV2X_SAE_01152020_v2.pdf

Section 4.2

Delete this sentence,

“In its waiver request, the 5GAA stated that “C-V2X enables direct, peer-to-peer mode communications […] between vehicles and pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable persons (“V2P”) […]”.  This statement is false: C-V2X would not “enable” V2P, but instead make V2P vastly more complex compared to existing DSRC technology”

Just because C-V2X is more complex than DSRC, that does not make the statement false.  Modern 802.11 technology is also vastly more complex than 802.11p, but it is very popular in the marketplace.

Section 5.1

“Despite the name, this is not true.  C-V2X in its current form is only capable of broadcasting packets and is not capable of establishing direct peer-to-peer communications over any network including a 5G network”

This seems to be a misinformed statement.  See https://5gaa.org/5g-technology/c-v2x/

Section 8.1.1

Delete,

“We believe that the fourth and fifth generations of cellular V2X sidelink technology (i.e. Release 14 and 16) do not have any of these characteristics: same-channel coexistence, backward compatibility, or interoperability.”

It is my understanding that 3GPP is providing a path to 5G.  If someone has some evidence otherwise, maybe it could be provided to support the statement.

Section 9.2

Delete,

“It is now clear that NR V2X PC5 will fail to achieve any of these key evolution characteristics not only with DSRC but also with the previous generation cellular V2X (LTE V2X PC5). To be clear, NR V2X PC5 will not be able to coexist in the same channel, interoperate, or be backward compatible with LTE V2X PC5.”

Why are we making these negative unsubstantiated statements about 3GPP technology?  Such statements hurts our credibility.

Section 9.3

Once again another negative unsubstantiated statement about 3GPP,

“The 3GPP V2X technology evolution model implies a high societal cost, a cost that is completely avoided in the IEEE 802 V2X evolution model. The 3GPP model implies that V2X spectrum must be fragmented into sub-bands associated with every different V2X technology”