Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAI] [Feedback due Fri March 29th, 12pm EDT] Call for offline comments on 802.11ai documents re representation of "Higher-Layer Objects" and "Large Objects", and processing during FILS authentication scheme

  Hi Rene,

On 3/25/13 5:55 AM, "Rene Struik" <rstruik.ext@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>[This reiterates my earlier request for comments, made during the Thu
>pm2 session of TGai last wee in Orlando]
>
>Dear colleagues:
>
>Hereby, I would like to request constructive feedback on the mechanisms
>presented in document 13/201r5 and those specified in 13/311r0.

  I think the ideas presented in 11-13/0201r5 go well beyond the problem.
There is no real need to have a kind of ultimate flexibility to do
"aggressive schemes", or to split plaintext into pieces, or to reorder
IEs. I don't think the "additional problem statement" is anything the
group has agreed is a problem that we need to solve.

  Most interfaces to cipher modes provide for input of a key, plaintext,
and a length of the plaintext (plus other stuff like an IV/counter and
AAD as the mode allows), they output cipher text. To allow for the scheme
you are proposing, one would require a gather/scatter interface to a
cipher mode or something analagous to that used by hash functions--
where there's a hashupdate() call that is made over and over for each
chunk of data to be hashed, and a hashfinal() when there is no more.
This is an unnecessary complexity.

  Sections 8.4.1a.2.1/2 from 11-13/0311r0 are ambiguous and confusing,
in my opinion. I do not believe this scheme is implementable. There is
no reason to have an "encryption indicator". The key agreement schemes
already indicate what data is encrypted and what is not.

  All we need to do is break up data that is too big to fit in an IE
(i.e. it's length is > 255 octets) into a sequence of IEs that can be
put into a really big 802.11 frame that will be fragmented by the MAC,
much in the same way that giant EAP packets get broken up into RADIUS
attributes that are all < 255 octets.

  I don't understand why 11-13/0311r0 strikes out the entirety of the
key agreement schemes we have already voted into our draft (pages 10
to 32).

>Please provide your comments to me personally offline by Good Friday
>(i.e., Friday March 29, 2013), noon EDT.
>
>I will summarize comments and make these available to the group. I will
>also use these comments to guide updates of the documents referred to
>above.

  I think it would be better if people provided comments to the list
instead of sending them to you offline and having you summarize them
for us. The WG can handle an open discussion of this problem.

  regards,

  Dan.