[STDS-802-11] Review of 11-20/0177r2, changes to ESS and HESS definitions and introduction

All,

This email is a request for review of changes in https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/20/11-20-0177-02-0arc-liaison-to-revmd-on-ess.docx, which modify the definitions and some introductory text for “ESS” and “HESS”, as an outcome of discussions in ARC SC up through January of this year.

I have recently realized that this set of changes got lost, as it was “in flight” as a liaison from ARC to REVmd just as the COVID situation hit and we stopped having F2F meetings.  But, there are discussions in our well-known “external organization” that are looking for these clarifications to help them understand these concepts.  Plus, just in general we have had confusion around what exactly these terms mean, within our 802.11 WG activities.  So, I would like to try to get these changes into REVmd before it is finalized and published.  This liaison was approved by the ARC SC in January (6-0-0) to be sent to REVmd.

Please review the changes in the referenced document.   The intention is not to make any technical change, but to use correct terminology and be consistent with terms and usage elsewhere in the Standard, and with most experts’ conceptual model of these concepts.

Thank you for any comments.  I hope to consider this during a REVmd meeting next week.

Mark