[RPRWG] The Reflector for Issue Resolution

I am pleased to see the high level of reflector activity discussing a number of important issues for RPR.  I have a suggestion that I believe utilizes the reflector for what it is best for, and will hasten resolution of issues.

After there have been a few back and forth exchanges on an issue with no apparent resolution, I recommend that you resist the temptation to send out one more note in an effort to convert others.  Rather, it is likely to prove more effective to pick up the phone and call the person that you seem to have a technical or theoretical disagreement with, and attempt to reach agreement by phone.  If there are multiple people that have joined in on the email discussion, then a conference call may be in order.

So that we may all benefit from these private phone conversations, send a follow up note to the reflector summarizing the points made, any agreement reached, and areas where important differences in viewpoint remain.  If possible, all parties to the telephone discussion should be in agreement with the content of the note that summarizes the conversation.

The reflector used in this way quickly identifies those people that have a keen interest in specific topics, and provides everyone with the benefit of their joint collaboration, without getting us all buried in a long string of email rebuttals and counter rebuttals.

I believe there is an important additional benefit: This approach focuses on the need to reach agreement, rather than on the differences we have.  A joint note, agreed to by all participating in the telephone discussion, places no one in a one-up or one-down position.

Please consider this process for present and future issues and surface on our 802.17 RPR reflector.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187