Meeting minutes of today's ad-hoc teleconference

Meeting minutes of ad-hoc teleconference about
IS reference model and use-cases

August 23rd, 9am-11:10am EST

Discussed document: 21-05-0336-00-0000-IS_Reference_Model_and_Use_Cases.ppt
(posted on the reflector.)

Participants
------------

Subir Das
Farooq Bari
Vivek Gupta
Ulisis Olvera-Hernandez
Qiaobing Xie
Ajoy Singh
Ajay Rajkumar
Peretz Feder
Soohong Daniel
Stefano Faccin
Cheng Hong
Eunah Kim
Kalyan Koora
Yoshihiro Ohba (minutes taker)
Mattias Pettersson
Prasad Govindarajan
Srinivas Sreemanthula
Reijo Salminen
Eleanor Hepworth

What was agreed
---------------

- Ia: joint-scope of IEEE/IETF.

- Ia': joint-scope of IEEE/IETF if it is different from Ia.  If Ia'
and Ia are the same, just replace Ia' with Ia.

- Ix: out of the scope of IEEE.

Action item
-----------

- Upload the current slide.
- Update the slides based on the agreement.
- Before the next teleconf, create a strawman of actual IETF requirements

Detailed discussion
-------------------

[Subir] First slide is to capture rererence model.  First figure
describes single hop model.  2nd figure multi-hop model.  Single-hop
basically means IP link (in terms of IETF req.).  Network IS provider
is where we can get the information.  In Information Database,
information is stored.  Interface Ix is not 802.21 scope.  This is Ix
is for capturing the scenarios.  Ia' could be Ia, we don't see much
differences.

[Ulisis] Why Ia' could be Ia could be different?
[Subir] Ia' some information may be added by 802.21 ISF in the network.
[Ulisis] Are we going to define an intermediate function?
[Ulisis] Each NISP tends to have its own information database.  How it
is covered.
[Subir] It is captured in the first case.

[Ajoy] A protocol is defined between MN and AR?
[Subir] Placement of protoocl entity can be separately discussed.
[Subir] Two NISP communicating each other is covered in the reference model
[Ajay] This discussion is only for IS.  Two IS functions in the
network talking to each other is separate discussion.

[Subir] If we define interfaces, why can't we use the same interface for
communications between IS Functions in network.

[Farooq] What is the diffrence in requirements?  If two diferent autonomous systems
communicate, then the interface is Ia'.

[Ajoy] communications between IS Functions in network can be a
peer-to-peer model.  Ia is client-server model.

[Subir] It is our job to put requirements if Ia' has some difference from Ia.

[Ajay] Definition of IEs can be done in parallel to the discussion of
reference model and use-cases discussions.

[Ulisis] Upper-layer proxy is talking to information database via Ix?

[Subir] Yes, but the two end of Ix are not an IS function.  Ix can be
anything.  We can mention it it is outsope.

[Qiaobing]: There is another model we may need to capture. For
example, IS function in UE is communicating with a proxy that is also
inside the UE and then it is using the Ix interface to communicate
with the information database.

[Subir] Yes, that is a valid model but it will out of scope since Ix
is out of scope.  But we will capture this model and Xiaobing will
send the model diagram.

[Eunah] What is the meaning of "(1:n)"?

[Subir] It means UE can communicate with multiple MIHFs.

[Yuna] Ia could be end-to-end.

[Farooq] Mapping is UE to the network.

[Ajoy] What is end-to-end?  How UE can choose one MIHF.

[Ajay] Ia is possible IS function and information database are
combined.

[Farooq] Ia and Ia' may have different security characteristics.

[Kalyan] Can two UEs communiating each other via Ia?  Another UE may
have obtained the information from the network.

[Subir] It might be a multi-hop model.  It could be described in Case
1 or 2 as a note.

[Kalyan] The intermediate network may be an ad hoc network. The term
NISP in that case should be ISP

[Farooq] Is it not then the network from an UE?

[Ajay] We are going to some philosophical discussion here.

[Ajoy] How many interfaces we are discussing in 802.21.

[Subir] Ia and Ia'.

[] Not all elements should have information database.

[Farooq] It should be captured in the spec.

[] All IS Function in network has an access to the information
database.  Then why Ia' is needed?

[Subir]  Multihop model is trying cover AAA-proxy like scnearios.

[Ajay] I agree with Subir.

[Ulisis] From the UE's perspective, Ia' or Ix does not matter.

[Subir] True.  From the UE perspective it is a single model, similar
to AAA model.

Slide 5:

[Peretz] Is this scoping discussed in Paris IETF meeting?

[Subir] Yes. If there is a scenario that is missing, please bring it.

[Kalyan] Ix is now IETF scope?  If there is Ix and it is IETF scope,
why do we want to show this interface?

[Subir] We are not saying that Ix is IETF scope, we are questioning
about this.

[Kalyan] Is Ix implementation specific?

[Ajay] Yes.

[Farooq] But we need to say something about Ix to explain the scenarios.

[Ajoy] What is the meaning of joint-scope?

[Subir] IEEE relies the interface to be standardized in the IETF and
requirements are sent to IETF.

[Peretz] Are you saying that communication betweeen IS functions
between different NISPs are in the scope of 802.21?

[Subir] Yes.

[Ajay] Case 1 is ientifying multi-hop case. In the slide we may need to
explicilty mention about this.

[Subir] We will separate Case 1 into multiple cases.  One case with
only one Ia and the other with two Ia-s.  And some other.

[Ajoy] Ia' should be in scope.  Ia could be used instead of Ia' when
one NISP is acting as an independent client for the other NISP (Ia''?)

[Farooq] What Ia'' is diffrent from proxy?

[Subir] We need to identity in various scanrios raised during this
discussion.  the interface is Ia, Ia' or some other. (proxy, relay or
server)

[Ohba] UE-to-UE communication in Case 1 might have an issue about MIH
discoverying.  There will be a big problem if every UEs are trying to
anser discovery query.

[Subir] Issues should be discussed when trying to create another use
cases for UE-to-UE communication information service and we can try to
describe requirements about it.

[Kalyan] Broadcast-based information service is another use case.

[Subir] Ia' is in scope only when it is for proxy and server.
If server to server then it is Ia''

[Farooq] Ia' or Ia'' is just a client-server interface.

[Vivek] That is mostly out of scope of 802.21?

[Subir] If we don't see different Ia and Ia', let's just rename Ia' to Ia.

[] Why server-to-server communication is out of scope?

[Subir] To make it in scope valid scenarios is needed.

[] Can Ix go across NISPs?

[Ajay] No.  If every NISP has its own information database, why Case
2c and Case 3 are needed?  It is unreastic to consider a NISP that
does not have its information database.

[Subir] If we are considering models where NISP always has information
database, then Case 2c and Case 3 are not needed.

[Ajay] Once agreed, the contents of the slides can be included in the
spec during the september meeting.

[Vivek] Before the next teleconf, we really need to create a strawman
of actual requirements.

[Subir] I agree.