Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion)

> From: Subir Das <subir@research.telcordia.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:51:26 -0400
> To: Hong-Yon Lach <hong-yon.lach@MOTOROLA.COM>
> Cc: <STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover
> InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion)
>

> Hong-Yon Lach wrote:
>
>> I think it is not just about how dynamically the information database needs
>> to be updated, it is also about how dynamically the mobile terminal needs to
>> consult the information and how often its environment changes due to its
>> movement. I fail to envisage a system that is so deterministic that I can
>> take comfort to ignore timing issues.
>>
>     I agree with you that  how often mobile needs to contact the IS is
> an important considertaion.
>     But  what is that frequency?  Do you envisage a system that requires
> a query  ~ msec while
>     performing the heterogeneous handover?

No, but the moment the mobile terminal feels that it needs the info, it will
expect to have it quickly (IMO).

>> Let's say I have a completely wrong assumption of what IS is for. Based on
>> all these exchanges, I can only conclude that the IS provides a means to
>> query information from a rather static database; the use may be helpful but
>> is not required for the purpose of handover; it is not clear where and how
>> the database obtains the information; it is not clear whether the
>> information can already be obtained by existing means.
>>
>       Are we not considering the  heterogeneous environment here?
> Existing systems may have such  information
>       available but they cann't provide other network information.  What
> we are trying to provide here is a mean such
>       that  user can query the network  information  not only for the
> connected network but also for other networks.
>       Do you think such information is not  required/helpful for
> heterogeneous handover?  The poplulation of
>       database is  another area and  as far as I understand  this is out
> of scope.

I did not say that such information is not needed; I said that for certain
HO and mobility management scheme IS may not be needed. That is, there are
other ways to get such information. One example is that such information
exchange can be (integral) part of the mobility management protocol with a
mobility manager overseeing the heterogeneous networks.