Re: [802.21] question on MIH event subscription

Qiaobing,
The reason I have quoted that text is that I  do not find any MIH events
in Table 4 that are different than Link Events listed  in Table 3. Thus
it indicates that MIH events are all pass-through. Now I see the text
you have mentioned below. First of all, we need to fix the text. Also
I remember our earlier discussion that we did not find any specific
events that are exclusive for MIH.  So my understanding was
that MIH events are just pass-through events and MIH users subscribe
for those events.

Now coming to your suggestion on considering MIH.indication as event.
I find it little confusing with the current terminology. So far we have
kept primitives  such as request/response and indication/confirm
separate from events, commands and information service.  On the other
hand, we define 'Event Subscription' for subscription of events not
for primitives. Also how multiple users will locally identify these
primitives
seems to me an implementation issue. Do we need to go that far and
generalize it?

regards,
-Subir

Qiaobing Xie wrote:
> Subir,

>> I think you are saying that MIHF should generate events as
>> well. This is not what we have in our current draft where it
>> says "Events that are propagated by the MIH to the MIH
>> users are defined as MIH Events" (page 38, L11).
>
> That (MIH events can originate from MIHF itself) has been my
> understanding for a long time. In the draft, we have text explicitly
> describing that. For example:
>
> [p-17, l-15]
>
> "5.3.1.1 Event origination
>
> Events may originate from the MIHF (MIH Events)... "
>
> [p-37, l-46]
>
> "Events that may be relevant to handover may originate from MAC, PHY
> or MIHF ..."
>
> My read on the line you quoted (page 38, L11) is that it basically
> says: link pass-thru events are defined as part of MIH Events. It does
> not mean to say: MIH Events are only limited to link pass-thru events.
>
> regards,
> -Qiaobing
>

>> regards,
>> -Subir
>>
>> Qiaobing Xie wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I think the following statements should be true:
>>>
>>> - any MIH .indication primitive shall be considered an MIH event
>>> - an MIH User shall be notified about an MIH event only that User
>>> has explicit subscription for the event
>>>
>>> Therefore, we will need to accept the following scenario as
>>> perfectly normal:
>>>
>>> 1. An MIH User invokes MIH_Configure_Link and sets some threshold in
>>> order to get a link report when that threshold is crossed;
>>>
>>> 2. But he forgets to (or intentionally does not) explicitly
>>> subscribe MIH_Link_Parameters_Report.indication event;
>>>
>>> 3. When the event happens, the User will not get the indication.
>>>
>>> My reasoning is that one may want to build a User whose
>>> responsibility is just to set link thresholds but the responsibility
>>> for receiving and processing the events are delegated to a different
>>> User (or Users). The latter will subscribe for the event but not the