AW: PMD data available

Dear all,
we also know this statistics of fiber PMD values. However, for us it is
unklear how representative these measurements are. I assume that with the
deployment of new fibers within the last few years the staistics shift to
lower PMD coefficients (ps/sqrt(km)).
Furthermore, our investigtions as well as the results of other groups show,
that the PMD limit of 10 percent of the bit period (corresponding to an
outage probability of well below 10^-6) only holds for tranmitterbandwidth
which are determined by the modulation. This means externally modulated
sources. In the case of directly modulated lasers with chirp so called
higher-order PMD distortions show up and reduce this limit (see references
in my New Orleans talk).
Regards
Henning

Henning Bülow  (Buelow)