From: "Matt Traverso (mattrave)" <mattrave@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 10:54 AM
To: "STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [802.3_50G] Question on precoder optionality

All,

In the July meeting we adopted the PMA baseline which included PAM4 precoding (detailed in hegde_3cd_01_0716). The adopted baseline presentation (nicholl_3cd_01a_0716) states “Mandatory to implement for Tx on PMAs driving backplane, copper and C2C.” & “Optional to enable (on links with dominant first DFE tap)”.

Is the intention that the precoding is “global” across all 8 physical lanes in 200/400GAUI-8?  Or can it be optional on a single physical lane on the AUI?

Or perhaps this is for further discussion…

thanks

--matt