Re: [802SEC] July opening SEC agenda is attached--please review

Roger-

There have also been reports to Standards Board Committees on a related
court case:
The Veeck case revolves around a claim that any standard that is referenced
in any law becomes part of the law and must be made available to the
general public free of charge.

Fifth Circuit has ruled that even though the SDOs retain the copyright, the
standard is, in fact, part of the law and must be freely available.

Supreme Court has asked the US Solicitor General for a brief.  There are
mixed feelings in government.  A brief was expected by the end of May.
My understanding is that this is likely to go to the Supreme Court because
the current situation is that our copyright protection (as a result of this
case) now varies by district.

My personal opinion (and I am most certainly NOT a lawyer) is that this
case is bogus. I believe this is a case of government appropriation of
private property (the royalty/revenue stream associated with the copyright)
without just compensation. This sounds like misapplication of eminent
domain to me. I don't see any difference in a government entity taking my
intellectual work to include in a law than their taking my back yard to be
a public access to a park.

Anyway, there is a lot of thrash here.

Geoff