Re: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ WG Membership & Meeting P&P

Mat,

            Sorry I am late in voting.

            I vote disapprove with the following comments,

Comments on Membership Rules

General observation

The term working group is used in most places.  The term TAG is used sparsely.  I think all these rules apply equally to a TAG.  Please put WG/TAG everywhere it is appropriate so it is clear these rules also apply to a TAG.

Section 7.2.2

The rules state that you can have an election for chair at any time if such an election is approved by 75%.  There is no statement on what it takes to hold an election for other officers.   What is required to have an election for another office?  I scrolled ahead and found a section on WG Officer Elections.  Maybe any references to elections should be moved to that section.  This section should list the officers and maybe their functions.

The rules state that the officers of the WG constitute the WGEC, however, there is no mention of what constitutes a WG officer.  There is mention of a chair and a vice chair.  There is no mention of a secretary, technical editor or any liaisons.  There is no mention of the task group officers (TG chair, vice chair, secretary, technical editor).  It is unclear to me who is a member of the WGEC.  It is also unclear to me the function of the WGEC.

Section 7.2.3.1

Given that the previous section 7.2.3 states that membership is my individual I see no way of requiring the following:

“In addition, a letter of intent and/or affiliation statement may be required for membership in a Working Group.”

If we are individuals it does not make sense to ask who our employer is, assuming that “affiliation” statement is referring to employment and not some other affiliation (e.g. church, community organization, etc.).

Also, saying such a statement may be required does not say that it is required.  So it does not actually constitute a rule.

Section 7.2.3.2

Reword the following:

Membership may be lost if two of the last three Working Group letter ballots are not returned, or are returned with an abstention other than “lack of technical expertise.”

Membership may be lost if two of the last three Working Group letter ballots are not returned, or are returned with an abstention for reason other than “lack of technical expertise.”

The following sentence is worded poorly and is hence ambiguous,

“Membership is also lost if a person fails to attend one Plenary and at least one other Plenary or duly constituted interim session within the span of the three most recent Plenary sessions.”

It sounds like if you miss a plenary and an interim you loose voting rights.  This can be fixed by eliminating the double negatives. I believe the following text better expresses the intension of the rule,

“Membership is lost if a person fails to meet the attendance requirement.  The attendance requirement states that in the span of the three most recent plenary sessions the member must attend at least one plenary session and another plenary session or a duly constituted interim session.”

Section 7.2.4.6

Since a TAG may not be established by writing a PAR (802.19 did not have a PAR) I think the following could be change from,

“WG shall have an established set of P&P within 6 months of approval of their initial WG PAR.”

“WG/TAG shall have an established set of P&P within 6 months of approval of their initial WG PAR or approval of formation of the WG/TAG.”

Also, I have a question.  I heard that the EC must approve the WG P&P.  Is that true?  I don’t see that in the P&P.  I ask since I am in the process of revising the 802.19 P&P and want to know if I need to get EC approval once the TAG has completed the revision.  Thanks.

Section 7.2.4.7

Move this to earlier in the rules.  The section on getting ride of WG officers precedes how we elect them.  That seems a little out of order.

Steve Shellhammer

Intel Corporation

(858) 391-4570