From: Grow, Bob [mailto:bob.grow@intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 5:02 PM
To: Stuart Kerry; STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Monday EC item

Stuart:

I recently got reminded of something in the IEEE-SA Operations Manual that
also applies in this situation.

5.3.13 Contracting

IEEE Standards meetings may require contracts for various services.
These services include but are not
limited to hotel services and meeting management services.

The IEEE Standards Sponsor committee or designee shall review all
contracts connected with running a meeting. It is encouraged that these
contracts be reviewed by IEEE Conference Services prior to signing.
Contracts are subject to limitations as defined in IEEE Policy 12.6.

All meeting contracts shall be maintained in a readily accessible file at
the IEEE Standards Department for audit purposes. It is the responsibility
of the IEEE Standards Sponsor chair or working group chair to send a copy
of the contract, when executed, to the IEEE Standards Department promptly
for retention within the IEEE.

In signing a contract, competitive bidding procedures shall be used
whenever practical. If competitive bidding is not practiced, the IEEE
Standards Sponsor committee or working group chair shall be prepared to
provide justification.

I don't think our process is clear if the IEEE Conference Services review
would precede EC approval or comes after, but it is something to consider,
and the review is something I personally would want done before giving
unconditional approval for signing of a services contract.

--Bob