Re: [802SEC] +++URGENT EC Email Ballot approve expenditure of $68.7k to upgrade the network+++

I currently am inclined to vote against this unless some questions can
be satisfactorily answered.  One of my concerns raised just to EC
members was resolved by moving discussion to the reflector.  I have
edited the others in an attempt to clarify my points.  A few questions
that come quickly to mind:

1.  Is Mr. Hawkins convinced the quoted discounts are sufficient
justification for not having competitive bids/quotes on equipment?  (He
after all will have the greatest work burden with this if challenged.)
Trying to imagine being Treasurer again, I'm not fully comfortable with
a financial justification based on picking particular equipment and
comparing the offered generous discount to web pricing rather than a
comparison of different vendor's equipment of the required
functionality.

2.  I see nothing in the budget for taxes.  Please explain.  Have we
confirmed with IEEE tax advisors that this purchase is exempt from sales
tax per 5.3.12 of the operations manual?  Based on timing, and Mr.
Rigsbee's explanation, I assume that vendors will be shipping at least
some equipment to Colorado.  That could make us subject to Colorado
sales taxes.  This is strictly a question about the amount on the vote
being accurate rather than there being hidden costs associated with the
proposed purchase.

3.  Similarly, I see nothing in the budget for shipping or similar
charges.  I assume we already have our old stuff on the way to Denver
and shipping for that was included in the meeting budget, but this
shipping would be additional to that previously budgeted.

I also am uncomfortable with a purchase of this size being a rush ballot
just before the meeting.  Even though based on complaints of my
constituency, we would like to see the network improved, my constituency
also are complaining about the rapid escalation in meeting fees.  We
have a fiduciary duty both to IEEE and in seeing that meeting fees are
prudently spent that this rushed ballot compromises.

--Bob