Re: [802SEC] Potential EC Motion

All,

So I'm really not sure how to resolve this rules issue.  However I
believe the fact that the P&P was poorly edited may be trumped by the
fact that SA would overrule the rule in question anyway. I plan to
consult with Paul and SA on this matter.  In the mean time (while Roger
did an excellent job of capturing the data) I wish to try to lay out all
the salient facts and governance.

In a later e-mail (tomorrow if possible) I will try and detail the
process followed to derive the posted erroneous P&P which deviated from
the approved rules change.  This is mostly with an eye toward process
improvement to try and avoid this ever happening again.  Also, we should
try and determine for the future what does happen if a P&P revision is
improperly edited and we live by the wrong rule for a couple of years...

Regards,

Mat

Salient facts and governance:

A P&P revision was approved on 14 March 2003 and the minutes of that
meeting read:

"Motion: to approve the rule change for SEC Electronic Ballots with
instruction to change the text 'all voting members of the Executive
Committee' to 'all Executive Committee members with voting rights' in
clauses 3.6.2 and 3.6.5.  Moved: Mat Sherman/Buzz Rigsbee  Passes:

10/0/2". [The text under discussion was in 3.6.5]

So, the rule should have been record:

"LMSC approval of the revised text of the proposed Policies and
Procedures change shall require the affirmative vote of at least two
thirds of all Executive Committee members with voting rights."

However what actually got posted to the web on 09 July 2003 (Revised
effective March 14, 2003) read:

"LMSC approval of the revised text of the proposed Policies and
Procedures change shall require the affirmative vote of at least two
thirds of all voting Executive Committee members with voting rights."

The LMSC P&P in effect during the 14 March 2003 session was the version
'Revised July 12, 2002' which read at that time:

"LMSC approval shall require the affirmative vote of at least two thirds
of all voting members of the Executive Committee. LMSC approval will
result in the rules change becoming effective at the end of Plenary
Session during which approval is voted. The revised LMSC Operating Rules
shall be forwarded to the Computer Society Standards Activities Board
(CS SAB); when the rules are known to be in conflict with the CS SAB
Policies and Procedures the cover letter shall request formal CS SAB
approval of the variance. In the case where the rules change is in
conflict with the Policies and Procedures of CS SAB, the rule change
will be put into effect as stated above but will be withdrawn
immediately if rejected by the CS SAB. CS SAB rejection shall be
announced to the LMSC Executive Committee by the most expeditious means
available (e-mail, FAX, regular mail) and to the LMSC membership at the
next Plenary Session."

A key point is that the P&P of the day (and still today) says the change
become effective at the end of the session where it is approved. This is
regardless of whether or not it is posted, and suggests that its
validity should not tie to what is actually posted on the web.  On the
other hand, I've been told in the past by SA what matter is what's
posted on the web, and that things aren't really valid unless reviewed
and approve by AUDCOM.

In the current version of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operating Manual
(I don't have any older versions) you will find the following text:

"The Sponsor shall ensure that its P & P have been reviewed and accepted
by AudCom. NesCom will not review new PARs from a Sponsor if AudCom
informs NesCom that standards development by that Sponsor is not
supported by AudCom due to the status of the Sponsor's P & P."

In the current Standards Board Bylaws (I don't have any older versions)
the following can be found:

4.2.4 Audit Committee (AudCom)

4.2.4.1 Scope

This committee shall provide oversight of the procedures used in the
standards-development activities of IEEE Standards Sponsors as defined
by 5.2.2 and review of the procedures used by the Accredited Standards
Committees for whom the IEEE serves as (co-)secretariat. This committee
shall also oversee the submission of Sponsor annual reports (see
subclause 5.1.3 of the IEEE-SA Standards Board Operations Manual).

While many revisions of the P&P occurred after the March 14, 2003
revision, the editorial error described above persisted and impacted
some key votes.  At the EC meeting of Friday March 19, 2004, under item
10.03 we have:

10.03 MI Adopt proposed Roll Call P&P Changes - Takefman 5 05:25 PM

Motion: Mike Takefman Second: Tony Jeffree

Vote: 8/4/1 The chair reserves the right to vote if allowed.

The chair will rule on the vote after further investigation.

The actual text of the change and considerable debate are captured in
the minutes.  But the key point is that it was a very controversial
vote, and we did not know how to interpret the result.

Later in e-mail dated 09 April 2004 the LMSC chair (Paul) stated:

After consulting with IEEE-SA staff (ML Nielson, D Ringle-see rationale
below) and the EC rules experts (M Sherman, B O'Hara), I have decided to
declare the decision on the motion "to adopt the proposed Roll Call P&P
change" as PASSED.

The key point in the e-mail (explained as follows) is that abstains
should not count in the denominator:

Remember the existing rule of the IEEE Bylaws [I-300.4 (1)]:

"Unless otherwise provided in the Certificate of Incorporation, the
Constitution, these Bylaws, the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law of the
State of New York or the applicable governing documents of a board or
committee of any organizational unit of the IEEE (other than the Board
of Directors,  the Executive Committee, the Major Boards, the Standing
Committees and any  other board or committee reporting directly to the
Board of Directors), the vote of a majority of the votes cast, provided
a quorum is present, shall be the act of such board or committee."

Because of this, the abstain does not count towards the 2/3 total need
to approve.

Interestingly this suggests our current rule for approving P&P revision
is inconsistent with IEEE governance and would be over ridden.
Regardless, the erroneous rule in question persists until finally we
come to the matter in question.

At the EC meeting of Friday 19 November 19 2004, under item 10.06 we
have:

"Motion: to amend the 802 P&P by applying document 19-04/0032r3 to the
802 P&P. Moved:

Shellhammer/Sherman  Result: 8/2/5 Passes."

Till this week, I don't believe that result was ever disputed, and it
clearly was accepted as passing at the time.  Especially given Paul's
interpretation (with SA guidance) I believe this motion should be taken
have having passed.

Finally at the EC meeting of Friday 18 March 2005, under item 10.18 we
have:

10.18 MI Adopt "P&P Revision Process" - Sherman 5 04:50 PM

Moved: Mat Sherman/Bob Grow

Passes: 13/1/0

The posted P&P (Revised effective March 21, 2005) reads:

LMSC approval of the revised text of the proposed P&P revision shall
require the affirmative vote of at least two-thirds of all EC members
with voting rights (regardless of whether they are present). The vote
shall be taken at a plenary closing EC meeting.

Assuming there were no editorial errors, this version of the P&P now
seems consistent with the original intent of the 14 March 2003 revision
that started this who mess.  Unfortunately it seems to be inconsistent
with IEEE and SA governance, so I now question the current rules
validity.  Further, while these facts provide a possible out for the
current situation, I really haven't found any general guidance on what
to do when an editorial error persists for a substantial period of time,
and our body acts according to the erroneous P&P.  I will try and review
the editorial process, but we really should nail down what we will do if
this ever happens again.

Oy do I have a headache!

Sleep well tonight everyone.

I know I won't :-)