Re: [802SEC] 802.20 Sponsor Ballot Pool Invitation/Solicitation

Phil,

When I fill out the form used to initiate the ballot group
invitation, I am asked to specify the duration of the invitation. The
default is 30 days. According to the IEEE-SA balloting FAQ:
  <http://standards.ieee.org/faqs/ballotform.html>
"The invitation period usually stays open for 30 days, however this
is at the discretion of the Sponsor Chair. Remember: our rules state
that an invitation must remain open for a minimum of 15 days." You
can see the Standards Board Operations Manual for more on this.

I'm old-school. I learned from my first Sponsor Chair, Jim Carlo,
that a Sponsor Ballot invitation is 30 days. I was trained that
Sponsor Ballot is intended to expose the WG's draft to outside
scrutiny for the first time; that the purpose of the ballot is to
improve the draft, not to approve it; that reviews and comments are
the value of the ballot process and need to be encouraged, not
avoided. Shortening the invitation could obviously have the effect of
limiting outside review.

I've been under the impression that all the 802 projects use a 30-day
invitation, but I don't know for sure. I don't know how the EC would
feel about a shortened invitation.

I plan to continue to continue to use 30-day invitations. However, as
usual, I'll do my best to plan ahead to avoid any impact to our
development schedules.

If you (or other 802.16 members) have a different perspective on
this, let's have a discussion at a future WG session.

Regards,

Roger