Re: [802SEC] straw poll on interim EC telecon meetings

Paul-

This is a proposal based on what you would like to have happen as contrasted with something that is supported by our P&P.

I am strongly opposed to this under our current rules.

While such meetings do not seem to be explicitly prohibited, there is no provision for such a meeting in our P&P and our procedures are tuned to only support 2 methods of EC action, specifically: - The opening EC meeting shall start at 8:00 a.m. and end no later than 10:30 a.m. on Monday morning and the closing EC meeting shall start at 1:00 p.m. and shall end no later than 6:00 p.m. on Friday of the plenary session.

  - 7.1.3.4 Electronic Balloting
At times, it may become necessary for the EC to render a decision that cannot be made prior to the close of one plenary but must be made prior to the opening of the following plenary. Such decisions may be made using electronic balloting. Provision shall be made for the LMSC membership to observe and comment on EC electronic ballots.

Our rules have been constructed such that they only consider these two instances for invoking our decision process. It is not appropriate to put another process outside these two instances without having P&P that address the new instance.

The following critical items come to mind just off the top of my head. I am certain that a full discussion of this proposal would bring up other considerations.

  1. What would be the required meeting notice?  We currently have no
     meeting notice requirements for our plenary EC meetings because
     they are on a fixed schedule.
  2. What time of day would the meetings be and how much flexibility in
that time would be made available to whoever calls the meeting? The requirements for our plenary EC meetings are on a fixed
     schedule which is tuned to local time and the plenary meeting.
     There is no requirement for time zone flexibility.
  3. We have an open meeting requirement (Ref: 7.1.4 para 1). Meeting
     both the letter and spirit of this rule would be be a problem for
     teleconferences, particularly with respect to a time slot
     convenient to all interested observers when they are not all in
     the same time zone.  It is not just the time zone of the members
     that is important.
  4. We have detailed restrictions on topic durations and how they will
     be dealt with.  We have nothing as to whether those restrictions
     will apply to a teleconference, whether it will be a free-for-all
     or what the rules will be.  The only way we have for handling this
     is our rules change process.
  5. I strongly believe that there should be a "lock-out" period in the
     rules that says we can not have such a meeting for some agreed
     upon period before, during and after the plenary week.  There
     currently is no such rule.  (The way meetings were run during the
     "Dark and Stormy Night" behind closed doors after the regular
     meeting and partially by phone the following morning both without
     advance notice is a particularly egregious example)  Without a
     lockout period, teleconferences would just become a means for
     Parkinsonian expansion of our plenary EC meetings.
  6. We have no quorum requirements for such a meeting. Such a
     requirement would be mandatory for something like this.

Bottom line: Not a bad idea, but I don't think we should have such a meeting on 04JUN2010. It would be perfectly appropriate to start an activity to draft new P&P text so that we might be able to have such meetings in the future.

Geoff
Non-voting (for now) as chair of 802.23 (but then this is a straw poll)

Geoffrey O. Thompson
Chair, IEEE 802.23 Emergency Services Working Group

GraCaSI Standards Advisory Services
158 Paseo Ct.
Mountain View, CA 94043-5286
<thompson@ieee.org>