Re: [802SEC] [STDS-802-3] Availability of IEEE P1905.1 Convergent Digital Home Network for Heterogeneous Technologies draft

Geoff,

Since I've been working with P1905.1 closely, I think I've got a reasonable understanding of their willingness to cooperate.

What we have is a situation where A saw an action of B that it interpreted as hostile so A treats B as hostile. B sees those actions as hostile and treats A as hostile. A feedback loop is created where A and B treat each other with hostility. Each looks at the actions of the other and interprets them with the expectation that they are hostile seeing that even when it isn't there.  The more each side sees the other do the same the more the behavior is reinforced. We've seen this process more than once in the past. Continuing that behavior on both sides will not improve the situation. (I'm not making any assumptions on who is A and who is B in the current situation or on whether the initial action was really hostile or just interpreted that way - it doesn't matter.)

 I've been working to break that cycle and bring folks together for reasonable discussions instead of lobbing hostile messages and have had success in the areas I tackled.  Therefore, I suggest that we:

	Submit comments on anything that we see as broken (including
	items that break interoperability with devices that implement
	IEEE 802 standards).

	Work with P1905.1 participants to help them understand our
	concerns and develop mutually acceptable resolutions.

I'm not suggesting that we submit out of scope comments to improve things that are okay but could be better, but if something is broken let's give P1905.1 a chance to fix it with our help.

Diplomacy can work when a hammer doesn't. When approached on the basis above, P1905.1 has been reasonable.

Best regards,
Pat