[STDS-802-11-ARC] Proposed resolution for definition/use of "bridge" and "bridgeable"

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

All,

Per my homework assignment in P802REVc, I have created the proposed resolution to P802REVc CID 4, to clarify the use of the terms “bridge” and “bridgeable” (and derived words) in the standard, uploaded here: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/24/11-24-0598-00-0arc-proposed-text-for-clarification-of-bridgeable.docx  (in the 802.11 document area).

Note that this direction is aligned (I think!) with our general agreement on the last call, but is quite contrary to the direction suggested by the commenter (myself).

The gist is that in IEEE Std 802, we will introduce the term/concept of bridge (in two places – the Definitions, and subclause 5.3.2) noting that there is very broad sense to the term(s), that it is anything that interconnects MAC/PHY networks.  But, immediately, we clarify that within IEEE Std 802, we will limit use/discussion of these words to an IEEE 802-based bridge, which is to say as per IEEE Std 802.1Q (and 802.1AC).  I think we then don’t need to modify anything else, as the rest of the existing text in the draft is okay/correct, within this narrower scope.

Anyway, we’ll discuss tomorrow in AM1 (in the Denver F2F session).  See what you think, and let me know at/before that meeting.

Thanks.  Mark