Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on 11-21/1224 CC 36 CR for Restricted TWT Setup

Hi Jarkko,

My further responses are in-line.

Regards,
Kumail.

On Oct 7, 2021, at 3:12 PM, Jarkko Kneckt <jkneckt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Kumail,
thank you for your responses.
There is a lot of text that jumps to a solution. I am still trying to understand the basic logic.

Are you saying that new broadcast TWT recommendation (=5) is needed to be able to limit the traffic (TIDs) that can be transmitted within these SPs?
- STAs that do not participate to rTWT may receive and transmit frames from any TID, but STAs that have setup this new rTWT SP type are allowed only to receive and transmit from the limited set of TIDs?
- Why is it beneficial for a STA to limit the data that it can transmit or receive?
- For instance, if TID=7 is not allowed to transmit in rTWT SP, then isn’t this causing lower priority traffic transmission before the highest priority traffic? (Priority inversion)
- How a STA in rTWT SP receives or transmits data from the left-out / excluded TIDs?

I think there may be a misunderstanding; the proposed Recommendation value 5 does not limit/restrict traffic within an r-SP to latency sensitive TIDs only. The added text is only to differentiate value 5 from value 4: which is that p2p traffic exchange is allowed within schedules with Recomm value 5 and AP also schedules at  least one MU RTS TXS Trigger with Sharing Mode 2, whereas that is not allowed in Recomm value 4. As we discussed in our offline chat/meetings, Traffic prioritization/restriction discussion is covered by 21/1115 and we plan to follow up with traffic prioritization rules in separate doc soon. Hope that clarifies that we are not proposing traffic restriction in this doc(21/1224) with Recommendation value 5.

- I did not find any response why we need both TID-to-link mapping and this new rTWT flow type.

I don’t see how TID-to-link mapping is relevant to this discussion. As I mentioned, TIDs are indicated as latency sensitive in UL/DL TID bitmaps in Restricted TWT Traffic Info subfield, as defined in 9.4.2.199 in P802.11D1.1.

The P2P traffic related response seems to say that r-TWT helps on Protecting P2P transmissions
- Is the target here to say that P2P transmissions are more important to infrastructure transmissions and all associated STAs in BSS should terminate their TXOPs before some possible P2P transmissions?
- This may have severe impact to STAs performance that expect to get good UL and DL service from the associated AP.
- Wouldn’t it be better to do P2P in other channel, so that the P2P transmissions are not eating infrastructure transmissions capacity and the total system capacity could be increased?
- I agree that rTWT does not help against hidden nodes or OBSS STAs.

The objective is to enable a STA to schedule and use r-TWT for both its UL/DL traffic and p2p traffic, where the p2p traffic can benefit from AP assistance in TXOP sharing and any channel access protection rule (the SP start). This is motivated by a consensus within the group to assist STA’s traffic with peer STA "The 802.11be amendment shall define mechanism(s) for an AP to assist a STA that communicates with another STA. [Motion 22, [9] and [157]]. It is up to AP’s discretion to allocate resources for p2p, if it has available, but the framework should allow/enable such operation.

Regarding using a different channel for p2p, additional channel may not always be available and it depends on STA’s p2p operation — if operating on a different and clean channel is possible, then by all means, the STA associated with the AP doesn’t need to use this rTWT to protect its p2p. The spec doesn’t force the STA to do so. It’s only when the STA has to, and wants to, and AP agrees to support it, then here is the tool to use and provide the benefit.

With rTWT support, STA gets more predictable times (i.e., within r-SP) when it can do p2p transmissions and enables AP to manage medium access (with MU RTS TXS Trigger).

Cheers,
Jarkko