[STDS-802-11-TGBH] 23/1314 Use Case 4.8

Hi Jay,

I have been re-reading your 23/1324 document.  I apologize if I do not understand this case well, but I would like to ask a few questions.  Your answers might clear this whole thin up for me.

First about the Beacon Request.

  1. In your text you seem to indicate that a STA will use both IRM and ‘device ID’.  Did you mean this?  should it not be one or the other?  Is there any reason for a STA to use both? Maybe should be written to make that clear?
  2. If the STA associates to the AP using an IRM (say IRM1), then when it goes away to send the probe to another BSSID, the STA can use any TA is wants?  i.e., an RMA, but technically it is still associated to the first AP? The STA should not indicate IRM active to the other AP.  The other AP does not need to know precisely who this STA is, does it? BUT when the STA reports back to its original AP, it must use the same TA (IRM1) as it remained associated, and is identified.  Hence, with IRM I see no problem identifying the STA.  Is that right?
  3. If using device ID.  When STA associated it either provided or was provided with a device ID.  Again,  the STA does not need to declare that ID to the other AP  does it?

Maybe I am not understanding fully,  but in the Beacon request case, I don’t see a problem.

Now if the probes are being used to gauge signal strength as a STA probes different APs in an ESS, then in this case, let me see if I have this right.

  1. Before associating with any AP in the ESS, if STA using IRM, then STA probes each AP in the ESS using the same TA which may be an RMA.  The STA may then be steered to a particular AP and at that point the STA will associate using an IRM (if it has been there before) or provides a new IRM for the next time.  The TA must remain constant throughout the ESS until the STA associates, at which time it may associate as usual with IRM.  Note that while probing, the STA should not indicate IRM active.
  2. If using Device ID, again, the device ID is not used until the STA actually is associating with the chosen AP.  I don’t see why a device ID is used for the probing, the same TA takes care of identification of the STA at this point.
  3. If the STA has associated first with an AP in the ESS, then in this case the TA is fixed and is the IRM, but I don’t think that is the Use Case, right?

Now, I accept that I may have this wrong, and if so please explain.  At the moment I’m not sure I understand all your text additions in 23/1314.

Thanks for tackling this problem,

Best regards

Graham