Re: [STDS-802-16] request /grant management

Being outside the MAC, the PCs do not have access to the rtPS state. The MAC CS in both the BS and SS must map traffic they generate and consume to the connections and this could be for example by priority bits in the user_priority parameter of the M_UNITDATA.req/ind or in a C-tag in the payload, or by per PC allocation using the source MAC or IP address.

For this classification and mapping to take place in the fashion you describe, the connection initiator (whether SS or BS) needs to have a reason to select rsPS and have knowledge of the MAC addresses to map and how many per-PC connections to set up (if per PC connections is really what you want). This could be through explicit configuration or by other protocols that transfer QoS flow information to intermediate nodes. This is outside the scope of the 802.16 specification.

From 6.3.6.2 : “For an SS, bandwidth requests reference individual connections, while each bandwidth grant is address to the SS’s Basic CID, not to individual CIDs.”

I.E. The grants are not per connection, the grants are per SS. So the SS gets granted transmit BW in one lump and it has to choose how to divide that time up between the connections it is sustaining. But it asks for the bandwidth for each connection independently. An implementation could probably pull tricks to reduce the time spent requesting, by aggregating requests and QoS parameters, but again, this is outside the scope of the spec.

DJ