[802.3_B400G] AUI Power Dissipation

Hello,

This morning during my presentation one of the question was what would be the expected difference between Med-loss AUI and High-loss AUI PD, I said I will follow up and provide a response based on prior published data.
The paper I had in mind was Tobby's contribution from Nov. 2022
https://www.ieee802.org/3/df/public/22_11/prli_3df_01_2211.pdf

I expect that as the loss increases beyond 35 dB we we will be on a steeper power envelope than Tobby's is showing, please see the added red solid line.  But in the region of interest 25 dB vs 35 dB the graph shown by Tobby power dissipation is reasonable as long as Med-loss channel doesn’t become more reflective, then one could say Med Loss-AUI will have ~ 1 pJ/bit lower PD compared to High Loss-AUI.

If we look at Tobby’s Med Loss Jan 2023 contribution the reference EQ is N_b=8, N_bg=3, N_bf=3, N_f=80 UI
https://www.ieee802.org/3/dj/public/23_01/23_0116/lit_3dj_01a_230116.pdf

If we look at Tobby’s High Loss Jan 2023 contribution the reference EQ is N_b=24, N_bg=6, N_bf=3, N_f=80 UI

Clearly the Med-loss equalizer is inadequate with ~50% of channels < 22 dB failing but the high loss AUI equalizer performs very well for all channels up to 35 dB.
Looking at Tobby’s Med Loss-AUI and High Loss-AUI the equalizer for Med Loss AUI is clearly under-powered and may end up to be something similar to the High Loss-AUI equalizer or we may find that High Loss-AUI channels may operate equally as well with simpler Med-loss AUI equalizer.  If Med Loss AUI and High Loss AUI equalizers are similar then then we would need to revisit the merits of having two AUIs!

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi