[802.3_OMEGA] November IEEE 802 plenary session

Colleagues:

The November IEEE 802 plenary will be held virtually beginning in October.  Mr. Law provided an overview of the plenary during the 24 September 2020 IEEE 802.3 Interim meeting teleconference (see https://www.ieee802.org/3/minutes/sep20/0920_802_3_interim.pdf, slides 21-23).

Though the formal start of the IEEE 802 plenary session isn’t until 30 October some activities that would typically be held during a plenary week will be held earlier in October.  IEEE 802-wide meetings associated with the plenary are shown on the 802 calendar (or when scheduled will be shown on the calendar):  https://www.ieee802.org/802tele_calendar.html and select the "IEEE 802 WG Calendar” hot link to reduce the clutter of the consolidated calendar for all 802 WGs and only display the IEEE 802 meetings.  Two early teleconferences should be noted:

1.  For those of you that are new to IEEE 802, there is an orientation teleconference scheduled on 28 October.

2.  Tutorials are typically held in the evenings during a plenary week, but with the November virtual plenary there is a tutorial scheduled for 13 October.

As shown on Mr. Law’s slide 22, the Opening Executive Committee teleconference will be held on 30 October and the Closing Executive Committee teleconference will be held 13 November.

IEEE 802.3 will hold its virtual plenary session from 9 November through 19 November (also as shown on Mr. Law’s slide 22).

1.  If you look at the 802.3 calendar, only a few 802.3 subgroup meetings for the plenary are currently scheduled.  This includes P802.3cz teleconferences which are currently only scheduled through 27 October.  I will be asking for comment during our 29 September ad hoc (emails to me are also acceptable) on the plan for P802.3cz teleconferences for November 2020 and later.  I propose we hold at least one Interim TF meeting as associated with the November plenary where we can consider motions related to baseline proposals and a P802.3cz draft.

1.  The skewed but partially overlapping schedule for IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802 is to avoid conflict with OIF meetings relevant to a significant number of 802.3 participants.

2.  To allow 802.3 to act on business that will need Executive Committee approval, there be three 802.3 WG teleconference meetings during the 802.3 virtual plenary session (Opening, Mid, Closing) with the Mid-plenary 802.3 WG meeting being able to consider actions that also require action at the closing Executive Committee teleconference.

At present, I am not aware of any items from P802.3cz that will require approval by the 802.3 Working Group, or by the Executive Committee in November.  Our adoption of baseline presentations for inclusion in a draft do not require approval by higher level groups.  Our primary task is to be adopting proposals that satisfy our objectives to have content in a draft for Task Force adoption and review.  We can do that during a duly noticed interim TF teleconference in October.  (Such a teleconference will require notice at least 10 days in advance.  I also propose that we schedule at least one P802.3cz TF interim during the 802.3 plenary session.)

Robert M. (Bob) Grow
Chair, P802.3cz Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet Task Force