Re: [802.3_OMEGA] Baseline test for IEEE 802.3cz PMD/MDI

Hi, Steve-san,

I have feedbacks to your baseline text proposal.

Cl. 300.7
I think no need to specify the fiber type in this sub clause. As long as it satisfy the specifications defined in Table 300-14.

Cl. 300.7.1
Are we going to use just one type of VCSEL or other light source for all data rate? Why don't we define the power budget for each data rate?
Lower data rate may have inexpensive solution. Then, insertion loss and penalties may be changed for each data rate.

Cl. 300.8 Table 300-14
Wavelength has not been decided. 850nm is still one of candidate. 1310nm was proposed as well. This leads the fiber type in Cl. 300.7 should be re-considered as well.

Cl. 300.8.2.1
Based on the discussion about Table 300-14, Table 300-15 needs to be revised as well.

Cl. 300.8.2.2.1
Connectors and mating mechanism have not been decided as well.
You have summarized these choices in the previous presentation (swanson_3cz_01_090221_Connector_Technology.pdf)
This will affect the loss budget for the optical fibers.

There are many things to be discussed. I think it is better we discuss the connectors, mating mechanism and wavelengths first. It affects many things.
Picking up just one wavelength and fiber type without including the connectors, mating mechanism and all others, if any, doesn't make sense to me.

Best Regards,
Kaz
Kazuya Takayama, Ph.D., Lead Researcher
Nitto Denko Corp.
R&D Division, New Business Development Div.
Optical Communication Business Promotion Dept.
919 Fuke-cho, Kameyama, MIE 519-0193 JAPAN