Re: [802.3_OMEGA] Motion #3 for PMD adoption. Understanding the negative votes.

Dear Colleagues,

Related with the technical opinion expressed below, I would like to emphasize a comment that Kjersti Martino already did
in our last meetings. She commented that the -40ºC performance is a problem for 850nm VCSELs because once the 850nm
VCSEL is adjusted to try to meet performance requirements at 125ºC, its performance at -40ºC is compromised. This comment
is consistent with my observation in the lab experiments, and it should not be ignored.

Fortunately, I already reported data in several contributions that support this comment.

https://www.ieee802.org/3/cz/public/11_may_2021/perezaranda_3cz_01a_110521_50Gbps_850nm_demo.pdf :
  • This contribution reports experiments of 50 Gb/s transmission using 850nm VCSEL across temperature.
  • Specifically slide 5 reports the threshold current as a function of back-side temperature. Ith is a key indicator of how VCSEL performance change with temperature.
    • For your information, lower Ith is better (bandwidth, distortion, noise), and higher Ith is worse.
  • This is the typical curve that I observed in all the 850nm VCSEL that I tested. See also the following contributions of July 2020:
  • The 850nm VCSELs are optimized for room temperature (25C), and the slope of the Ith curve vs temperature is abrupt in the right and to the left sides of the optimum temperature.
  • On top of that, trying to move the optimization point to higher temperature, it would further penalize low temperature and viceversa.

https://www.ieee802.org/3/cz/public/may_2021/perezaranda_3cz_01_0521_VCSEL_980nm.pdf :
  • This contribution reports experiments of 50 Gb/s transmission using 980nm VCSEL across temperature.
  • See slide 6 for Ith.
  • With similar Ith at 125ºC (~1 mA), the 980 device performs much better than the 850nm device of https://www.ieee802.org/3/cz/public/11_may_2021/perezaranda_3cz_01a_110521_50Gbps_850nm_demo.pdf.
  • And for low temperature, the Ith is even lower than at room temperature. You do not have the bathtub curve.
  • The dependence of Ith with temperature is reduced, so the design for operation in wide range of temperature is easier for 980nm devices.

Thank you and best regards,

Rubén Pérez-Aranda
KDPOF