RE: stds-802-16-tg4: Channel and Interference models.

The number one interference issue confronting the TG4 ( as demonstrated by
my TG4 contribution based on USA and ITU-R UNII devices interference to
SAR-4 analysis) is that the interference requirements for Synthetic Aperture
Radar SAR-4 sensors can be exceeded by one (1) WirelessHUMAN-based device
with omni directional antenna, operating in the Middle U-NII band of
5.25-5.35 GHz.  Considering the SAR-4 has a 57 square Km foot print the
probability of exceeding the interference requirement of an SAR-4 by a TG4
standard-based device using an omni-directional antenna is very close to
unity. Unless we find a solution to this problem the Wireless HUMAN-based
systems will never be permitted as they will interfere with the global
primary in this band.    If in doubt, See page 2 of Mr. Julius  Knapp
presentation to 802.16 last week.  So this problem should be given TG4
priority as far as this band is concerned.

Zion Hadad had suggested in our TG4 meeting last week turning off the
Wireless HUMAN devices in an area when the Satellite is passing the area.
Perhaps he can follow up this suggestion with a contribution on how to do
such approach, so we can evaluate it.  Others may suggest other approaches.
I believe this problem requires our attention now!

I also not what I heard Phil Whitehead ( Coexistence Study Group Chair) say
in the 802.16 Plenary (in reply to my questions) is that interference model
work will be under the new PAR for Coexistence, and it will be  TG4's
responsibility to find the appropriate protocols to cope with the
interference model derived by the new Coexistence group.

Please do not shoot the messenger for it is unfair and that will not resolve
the problem!

Dr. Demosthenes J. Kostas
Director, Industry Standards
Adaptive Broadband Corporation