Re: [802.3_NGAUTO] Presentations for February Interim

Stefan-

On Feb 17, 2017, at 12:18 PMPST, Stefan Buntz <stefan.buntz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

- Furthermore I kept the 5G objective, hence there is seems fewer support for this.  Here are my reasons for that: From my understanding even if this is an separate objective the 5G PHY could be derived from the 2.5G (e.g. use 2 pairs or upscaling of clock) or 10G (e.g. downscaling of clock, ...) PHY, So it would not necessarily be a completely separate PHY, but only a scaling of another PHY. And if none of these scaling approaches will work to allow an appropriate solution still the objective can be removed in TaskForce phase.

Even if a 5G PHY were derived from the 2.5 or the 10 in the manner you describe,
even if it were a complete reuse of existing technology,
it would still be a separate PHY specification and a different speed for the MAC,
thus the objective should stay UNLESS there is consensus that 5G will not be done at all.

Best regards,

Geoff