Re: [8023-CMSG] 802.3ar

Anoop,

Thanks for your interest. I've copied your message to the reflector to help generate discussion/action.

Hugh Barrass proposed defining (3) separate rate limiters within 802.3ar. This is to satisfy one of our four objectives. These rate limiters are described in his presentation:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cm_study/public/0501/barrass_1_0501.pdf

The TF took a number of straw polls regarding these rate limiters. See:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cm_study/public/0501/motions_1_0501.pdf

...beginning on slide 10. Each rate limiter was considered separately.

The work item between now and the March Atlanta meeting is for individuals in the TF to prepare a "technical proposal" for each rate limiter so the TF can vote them in (or not). If voted in, the proposal would become a "baseline proposal" and is material that is well enough defined for a technical editor to compose text and diagrams and prepare a draft. I'd highly recommend TF members collaborate and prepare a consensus proposal rather than disparate competing proposals, if possible.

- - -

Manoj presented supporting material and techniques for communication congestion indication at L2. This was also in support of one of our four objectives. His presentation may be found here:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cm_study/public/0501/wadekar_1_0501.pdf

He may slight tweaks and presented in a joint 802.1 meeting. That presentation may be found here:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cm_study/public/0501/wadekar_2_0501.pdf

In order for a project to get started within 802.1, the CMTF needs to prepare a "complete proposal" for review by 802.1, ideally at the March meeting. 802.1 seems open to a congestion notification project along the lines of what Manoj is proposing.

kevind