Re: [8023-CMSG] P802.3ar rate control

> I am not sure if you are pointing to inconsistency in MAC
> Service Inteface definition (MAC Client not knowing when MAC
> is ready to accept next frame, done with current etc.).. There
> was good deal of discussion during Sacramento meeting. Hugh
> presented this..

Yes, this is pretty much what I'm talking about.  Today there
is no way for the client to know whether the MAC is ready to
put the packet on the wire.

> Idea was to clarify the interface so that MAC Client knows
> that Frame transfer is imminent. (Maintain only one packet in MAC).
> This way if low priority packet is submitted to MAC and before
> it is transmitted, high priority packet arrives at MAC
> Client, then it has flexibility to withdraw old low-priority
> packet and submit new high-priority packet..

The client shouldn't try to submit a packet to the MAC for
transmission unless the MAC is ready to put it on the wire.
It seems like the only way to do this would be to introduce a
new primitive that goes from the MAC to client.

I took a look at Hugh's presentation and it looks like
it does cover the issue.

Thanks,
Anoop