From: Salinger, Jorge [mailto:Jorge_Salinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:32
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] IEEE P802.3bn Call for Presentations for Geneva
meeting

Thanks Marek!

I guess I should have explained myself a bit better. I understand the
purpose of the Baseline Proposals, and I am working on a few with some TF
colleagues. And I understand the purpose of the Objectives as I worked on
them. To mirror terms used in general during the product or service
development process, I see the Objectives as being product requirements, and
I see the Baseline Proposals as being the design. I was wondering about a
step in the middle, between what I call product requirements (the
Objectives) and the design (the Baseline Proposals) which I would call the
technical requirements. This intermediate phase would define what needs to
be designed in more detail than the product requirements would.

But, I guess from the answer from Marek below, which I consider to be an
expert in the IEEE 802 and 802.3 processes, I guess the answer is no, there
isn't any requirements in between the Objectives and the Baseline Proposals.
Please correct me if I misunderstood.

I guess this makes sense since it is the same group that develops the
Objectives and the Baseline Proposal. On the product or service development
side the product requirements come from a different organization than the
one that would do the design and development of the product or service, so
the technical requirements are necessary to properly define the
requirements.

So, we can directly jump to Baseline Proposals from the Objectives, which is
good. Saves time, which is great.

Thanks!

Jorge